The inside is (also) important
It is important to know the design of the case on the outside, but also on the inside.
- The base of the case should be slightly inclined and sturdy, to ensure that the weight is distributed correctly. Place the major weights near the back and symmetrically.
- You must have different compartments to sort the interior, so that it does not move, or moves anything inside. Apart from that it is uncomfortable to hear continuous strokes, it is dangerous if you carry an instrument.
- The backrest should be padded or semi-soft and adaptable to your back. The padding should always be breathable.
Few more highlights for children
Children are still in development, so they have to be very careful when carrying instruments or school bags. These are some useful additional guidelines for them:
The backpack should not stand out on the sides of his/her back. Oval top bags are better than the square ones. This fact will help them develop their shoulders correctly.
They are always running and playing, so it is better that their backpacks do not have cords or accessories that hang, to avoid accidents. In addition, it is a good idea to wear a reflective accessory on the outside, so they can be easily seen in winter.
Finally, I would suggest you to help them check every day what they carry in their school bags or musical cases, so that they load just what they need.
I want you to keep this in mind
These are the key points of this post:
- Hold the case in contact with your lower back (never above) and with the upper part of your buttocks (never below)
- Use the fasteners on the chest and waist to move the load closer to your body
- Hold tight your instrument inside, and better if it does not exceed 15% of the total weight of your body
The main source of information for this study is the Healthy Back project. This project was aimed at designing the best possible school bag for children, with the help of doctors. I show you an article if you want to know more. And remember, sport and rest help us live better :)