Essential caring for your accordion
In the previous post I spoke about the maintenance of stringed instruments, and of course, today it is the accordion’s turn.
If you do not know the Jose Mari’s blog of Acordeones Dumboa I recommend it. They are also in Irun as we are :) . In this blog Jose Mari has very detailed and precise information, because he is a very renowned accordion luthier. Reading this blog, I have learned that there are three types of revisions that your accordion needs. Do you want to know what they are?
1. Revisions every three months you should make
- Dust cleaning on valves and rods inside mechanics, inner folds of bellows and outside parts (buttons, keyboard, registers, box, bellows)
- Ensuring that register switches go smoothly
- External cleaning treatment with wax or silicones
2. Annual maintenance performed by your trusted luthier
- Cleaning, control and adjustment of keys foraccompaniment and melody
- Cleaning, control and adjustment of the registers and chinrests
- Cleaning and general adjustment of voices
- Control, treatment and change of defective sheepskins
- Sound review (voice review)
- Mounting and sealing check (repair of possible air leaks)
3. Professional tuning
- To have your accordion tuned is crucial for a long life of the instrument and an optimal and stable sound.
- After buying a new accordion, the interior wood dries and the voices adapt. This adaptation allows the sound capacity to be improved by 30%.
- Why is it necessary then to adjust the pitch? So that its maximum sound quality remains stable over time.
Jose Mari, thank you really much for sharing your experience.