The Do’s and Don’ts of Caring for your AccordionFebruary 14, 2019
From Castelfidardo with loveOctober 10, 2019
In the previous post I spoke about the maintenance of stringed instruments, and of course, today it is the accordion's turn.
If you do not know the Jose Mari's blog of Acordeones Dumboa I recommend it. They are also in Irun as we are :) . In this blog Jose Mari has very detailed and precise information, because he is a very renowned accordion luthier. Reading this blog, I have learned that there are three types of revisions that your accordion needs. Do you want to know what they are?
Essential caring for your accordion
- 1. Revisions every three months you should make
- Dust cleaning on valves and rods inside mechanics, inner folds of bellows and outside parts (buttons, keyboard, registers, box, bellows)
- Ensuring that register switches go smoothly
- External cleaning treatment with wax or silicones
- 2. Annual maintenance performed by your trusted luthier
- Cleaning, control and adjustment of keys foraccompaniment and melody
- Cleaning, control and adjustment of the registers and chinrests
- Cleaning and general adjustment of voices
- Control, treatment and change of defective sheepskins
- Sound review (voice review)
- Mounting and sealing check (repair of possible air leaks)
- 3. Professional tuning
- To have your accordion tuned is crucial for a long life of the instrument and an optimal and stable sound.
- After buying a new accordion, the interior wood dries and the voices adapt. This adaptation allows the sound capacity to be improved by 30%.
- Why is it necessary then to adjust the pitch? So that its maximum sound quality remains stable over time.
Jose Mari, thank you really much for sharing your experience.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Enter your email and get the very latest from LumaSuite – Quarterly articles, team announcements, and more!